Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service is associated with storing and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server administered by a website hosting distributor. There are various categories of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's take a glance at them. Thus, you can elect what you need, based on whether you desire to launch a website, email address accounts, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by various companies, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions often include adverts by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain amount of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inapt interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the tasks at hand between separate groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web site hosting services (mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given firms provide a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a vast amount of images with chums or acquaintances since the service is generally free. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to administering your email mailbox accounts. Some vendors provide web space hosting services for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to have an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will enable you to use as many videos as you want to without worrying about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to keep a web site. To some extent, it contains all of the aforementioned hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Exclusive Hosting, for instance, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that enable you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in a single location. There may be limitations based on the sort of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for specific web content exclusively.